Thursday, January 22, 2009

T Minus Two Months

My due date is two months from today--March 22nd. If my little occupant decides to hang out till then, I could very well be in the throes of labor in exactly two months, since I won't be allowed to go past my due date. *shudder* Can I just order up the pain medication cocktail now?

Had my weekly appointment with Dr. Fab today, and happily, the BP seems to be holding steady for now. Tater is still measuring big but he's not growing at quite the clip he was a few weeks ago, when he was measuring almost four weeks big. Baby's heart rate was excellent today, and he even kicked hard enough to shake Dr. Fab's hand as she held the doppler on my belly. Also, I lost three pounds this week, which was a bit of a concern to Dr. Fab until I explained to her that I have been busy taking care of a four-year-old with strep throat all week and I haven't slept or eaten well in that time. Then, she just gave me the same kind of look my mother would give me if I had just told her that same thing and said, "You look tired. Take it easy."

Fortunately, that is exactly what I have planned. Grace has off of school tomorrow for the end of the semester, so we thought this would be a good opportunity for the three of us to take a little mini-vacation before Tater makes his debut. Aaron and I both have off work tomorrow and we are taking Grace to Country Springs, which is a hotel/water park that is located about 20 miles west of our house, for the weekend. (Last week Dr. Fab gave me the green light to go as long as I promised her that I wouldn't go on any water slides and that I would keep my feet up and relax all weekend.) We're all super excited to get away for the weekend, even though we're not going far away. It'll be nice to get out of the house for a couple of days and get away from the household chores that are staring me in the face. It'll also be nice to have a long weekend away with just Gracie, as I know the opportunity to do that is quickly slipping away.

Anyhoo, next week we start the weekly fetal non-stress tests just to make sure all is still well in Tater's uterine home and that he is still thriving despite the gestational hypertension and the low levels of PAPP-A (I'll go to two tests weekly at 34 weeks). In the meantime, I'll be relaxing at the pool and pondering the circumcision question--to cut, or not to cut??


Carrie said...

Yeah, I was kind of relieved when we found out Pebbles would be another girl, to not have to deal with that one. Now, who knows -- we could be facing it again.

Sara said...

Yeah, I am REALLY struggling with that decision. On the one hand, the AAP takes a pretty noncommittal position by saying there is really no medical reason to do it, but on the other hand, it can help prevent UTI's and passing along HPV in the future. There are also studies that say it lowers a man's risk of penile cancer, but then again, I hate the idea of putting my newborn through all of that pain and trauma when it's TECHNICALLY not necessary. And I have been reading that many practitioners don't use anesthesia during the procedure and that just slays me.

So yeah, we're doing our due diligence and researching the topic to death, but I'm still undecided.

Jennifer said...

Don't cut! jk, I know you'll make the right decision for your son. I haven't read enough evidence that says it's really medically necessary. From what I've read, the risk of UTIs and cancer in both situations is super low. And HPV...nothing a little cleaning can't prevent. At least that's my two cents.